Menu

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Circle Skirt Sew-Along - Zipper and Waistband

The Zipper Is In!  I don't know about you...but this zipper-phobe is always delighted to have this particular step in the rear-view mirror. 

That said...I am once again astonished at the wonder of modern technology that is the Invisible Zipper.  I LOVE these things...(well, as much as I can love a zipper anyway).  I've probably used them just a half-dozen times...and the process is always preceded by much trepidation...but I must say that I've never been disappointed in the result. 

Now, I know that many of you don't use them because they're a fairly "recent" invention.  You're after an authentic vintage look...and that's OK.  But, I do believe that if these had been available to our fore-mothers, they'd have been all over them.  I know MINE would've!  








Here's my zipper, inserted into the left side seam.  My skirt has a contoured waistband...and the zipper extends through it...so I had to complete the lining and construct the waistband BEFORE inserting the zipper. 











This is how it looks, unzipped...and you can see the paisley silk lining.  I faced the waistband with the silk, as well...figuring that it would be less bulky and more comfortable to wear.

Next time, I'll move the top zipper stop down a bit more.  I used the recommended 3/4 inch...but after turning, I found I had no room to attach a hook-and-eye. 










And here it is with the zipper on the side, as it will be worn.   






Courage, Circle-Skirters!  The hard part is behind us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I own a fabulous sewing machine that I have never used.. My bad for asking Hubby to get it for me.

Love that paisley lining. It's such a nice surprise on the inside, sort of like a box of Cracker Jacks!

Donna said...

Very nice. I like your fabric, and the lining too!
I really should start sewing again.

Rebecca Nelson said...

Doesn't matter what kind it is...every zeeeeee-pur I've EVAH put in looks crummy! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Love that lining!

xoRebecca

Post a Comment