Menu

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Beginning

My first post!  I've been thinking a lot about how I want to begin this journey...and the direction I want to take.  Since this blog is called "KatyDidStitches," I hope to talk a good deal about sewing...and my renewed passion for garment-making.  But there's more to me than my way with a needle and thread.  And so I thought I would begin by sharing a corner of my garden with you.  It's Spring.  The garden is just beginning...and so am I!  Enjoy!

I love perennial gardening...the ebb and flow...the way each plant has it's day in the sun and then recedes into the background while another steals the show.  This particular bed sits on the west side of our house...next to the patio and just outside our kitchen window.  I thought it might be fun to watch the changes in this garden as it makes it's way through the seasons.  And...since I'm going to be showing it you, I MAY actually keep it tidy!


My hubbin...affectionately known here as "The Mailman"...knew I wanted a big garden, but he married me anyway!  "You do the planning and I'll do the grunt work," he said.  He's never admitted it, but I've often wondered it he's regretted those words!  In addition to digging the flower beds...the fence, the arbor and the gravel path are ALL his handiwork.  And that's just a fraction of what he's done around our home.  He's the perfect handyman...reasonable rates...finishes on time and under budget (well, most of the time)...and looks great in a tool belt!   


 
There are a LOT of plants in this bed, but you'd never know it now.  I wanted some Spring color,  and so I planted the spaces in between with Daffodils...some were purchased and some migrated from my father-in-law's garden.  This is just their second season...and I'm hoping they will multiply into a great big bouncing bouquet of sunshine yellow!




Since we live in a wooded area, there are always wildflowers popping up.  These delicate little beauties are always the first to appear.  I don't know what they're called...but I've loved them since I was a little girl.  Their pure white and chocolate brown coloring remind me of nonpareils!





Meet "Gnomar Garciaparra" (heads-up, Cubs fans). He's stationed just inside the front gate. If you visit, be sure to say "hello" to Gnomar...he's really quite friendly! 








Thank you for stopping by...I hope you enjoyed your first little tour! 
  

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow hoosier. I have to tell you as a die hard red sox & cubs fan, g'nomar is adorable. Look forward to reading your blog! T

Post a Comment