Menu

Friday, June 24, 2011

Front Door Garden

Today, I had intended to post an update about the little side-yard perennial garden I've been sharing with you...but after a couple of weeks of heat and rain, it looks like an absolute JUNGLE.  A major weeding is on the agenda for tomorrow morning.  

So...I thought you might enjoy a little peek at our front door garden.  This is what you'll see if you ever decide to knock on my door.  We reconfigured the front walk and drive way several years ago...and planted this little garden.  As always...some of the plants thrived...and some did not...eventually settling into this combination that seems to work quite well.  

The big fluffy Petunias in the foreground are a Wave variety called "Sugar Bell."  The soil in this little spot in HEAVY clay...and refused to support any of the perennials I tried... so an annual container planting was an easy solution.

The little yellow bird feeder sits under the kitchen windows...and I can watch the Cardinals and
Goldfinches while I'm cooking.




This is the view from the front porch...looking down the drive.  I clear this myself in the Winter...by hand...with my trusty snow shovel...all the way to the street.  Because I don't trust anyone else around my plants.  Go ahead...call me crazy.  You won't be the first one!









The Mailman found this sweet little chair on the curb.  Someone had tossed it out with the trash...so we gave it a home amidst the flowers.  










This little fountain sits at the end of the walk.  We collected the stones over several years of trips to Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Lake Superior.  I've always loved a "pretty rock"...and the colors in these are just amazing.  See the three carved stones?  We found these at the Covered Bridge Festival in Parke County, Indiana.  We have "Bonnie," "Clyde" and "Copelan"...which is a mis-spelling of our last name. 






Here's a pretty combination of blooms..."Stella d'Oro" daylily, "Johnson's Blue" hardy geranium and pink groundcover roses.  When I planted these, I hoped that they would all bloom at the same time...but the geraniums are always ahead of the others.  These few blossoms are the last for this season.







I love these hydrangeas...an oak-leaf variety called "Pee Wee."  I've planted them under all the bedroom windows...and on a pretty day, when the windows are open and the breeze is blowing in...the fragrance is just heavenly!  This variety is easy-peasy to grow...and is a reliable bloomer (at least for me). 










Careful...there's a weenie dog hiding in the blue plumbago.  I think he sees... 













...a SQUIRREL!  Which is pretty much an everyday occurrence around here! 








And there you have it!  I hope you enjoyed this little tour...and please come back again!

4 comments:

Rebecca Nelson said...

How absolutely LOVELY! Our lawn has nearly died from the heat... I'm not even going to talk about my SUFFERING Hydrangeas. :(

Beautiful girly~

xoRebecca

KatyDidStitches said...

Thank you, Rebecca! I have some suffering Hydrangeas, as well...but, as you'll notice...I didn't blog about THEM! ;o)

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

Hi Katy,
I thoroughly enjoyed my tour! And...you have a red house! My absolute FAVORITE! We had the cutest house in Omaha, NE, where I did most of my growing up before moving to Arizona. People would stop just look....Mom had it fixed so prettily and I have just adored red houses ever since!
I have had red doors, but not a whole house...it is on my bucket list! hehehe!

It is rainy and cool here....jeans and a long sleeved T feel good. I am not complaining as I know what July can bring here. Being a hop skip and a jump from the water brings the high humidity, too!
Love it when you drop by!
Jil

KatyDidStitches said...

Thank you, Jil! We started with a red door...and then we built a little garden shed...and it's red. So...when it came time to paint the house...we thought, "What the heck...we'll paint it red!" And so we did. It took some getting used to...but people seem to like it...and it's very easy to find our house. It's the only red one in a sea of beige and white!

Post a Comment